[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 03:11:56 PST 2009

As well, traditional forms of jazz had a certain degree of "fun" built into them (as well as
a degree of musical familiarity)...the listener could dance to the music. One of the best extant "New Orleans Revival" jazz bands has played Saturday afternoons at Grossman's Tavernette in Toronto for going on forty years; their music often inspires very young children to try and "dance along!" I can't imagine this occuring with post-modern "jazz"...?! SCBarr

Well, I've danced live to the music of Sun Ra's Arkestra (one of my favorite dance bands ever), Henry Threadgill (of the AACM), Ornette Coleman, Carla Bley, Ronald Shannon Jackson Last Exit and more & never thought it was difficult or a big deal (and often, others were dancing too).  Of course, I wasn't 'foxtrotting' or stepping in box patterns, so maybe some of you wouldn't call it 'dancing'.....bebop is fun to dance to as well, despite its poor reputation for such. As I see it, Albert Ayler was one step away from being a New Orleans brass band musician, and his music was quite rhythmic, hence easy to dance to.

I'd also say most 'avant-garde' musicians I'm familiar with have some degree of humor in their playing as well, as opposed to the sanctimonious attitude they are often accused of having.

Gene

& would have danced the time I saw Cecil Taylor if there had been space to do it.