[78-L] Pitch shifting

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 23 20:25:41 PST 2009

Sammy Jones wrote:
> Mike Biel wrote:
>
>> But for
>> some reason every turntable or tape recorder ever made only had a
>> control marked "SPEED" -- at least till the geeks took over.
>
> The variable speed control on my Technics 1520 reel to reel tape deck
> (manufactured about 1980) is marked "pitch."  Nevertheless, I've never had
> any doubt that its function was to manipulate both pitch and tempo.
>
> Sadly this feature my machine doesn't work very well.  When the "pitch" knob
> is pulled out the speed warbles all over the place.  The machine is
> rock-solid otherwise.  All this means is that I'm not able to speed-adjust
> records or radio shows I have on tape before they're dubbed to CD or
> computer.
>
> Sammy Jones

The best way I can describe the speed control on my Technics 1500 is
"marginally better than nothing"..I still have to use it on occasion, but very
carefully. However, if I transfer the audio to CD-R I can then adjust speed by
.1% increments on the Marantz CD player (which goes 12% in either direction).

The Revox 700 had an optional remote control speed adjustment thingy. I
borrowed it occasionally from the University of Toronto Faculty of Music to use
on the machine I had at CHFI. Also consisted of a dial you turned carefully.