[78-L] fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 15:02:47 PST 2009

I have a Sandy Hook LP of Bunny Berigan live remotes and on one track,"Shanghai Shuffle"
Blowers swings but on another tracks,especially up tempo tunes,he tended to plod.The
only time I heard Moe Purtill swing was on Miller's "Little Brown Jug".Aside from that one
recording,I thought Purtill summed it up quite nicely when he said that he would wave his
hair a little more;drink a little but he just couldn't swing anymore.I have a mid forties Decca
78 of "On Moonlight Bay(the only date he did for that label)",recorded in March,1937.Geor-
ge T.Simon played drums on that date and his drumming was just as stiff as Purtill's.I feel
that Miller's stiff personality had alot to do with it.MIller was once quoted as saying "Let's
get a beat going";he never did but the band seemed to swing more when Miller was off the
stand.Catch the mid '50s performance of "Daisy Mae" from 1941.