[78-L] Worst reprocessed reissue-the first Robert Johnson Box

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 23 14:40:30 PST 2009

From: rockined1 at aol.com
> OKeh My candidate would be the first version of the Robert Johnson box
> set on Columbia Legacy--or any of the Columbia reissues that muffle the
> sound, take out the bass and generally make it sound like an Acoustical-era recording

AMEN to that!  The lousy sound on the Johnson box was immediately noted
by some of those who had some of the original 78s, and started the
folklore that no CD could ever have the punch that the original 78 had.
It also started the move for collectors as well as non-collectors to get
copies of the 78s and drove the prices unreasonably high.

I have not yet gotten a copy of the box despite the real cheap price it
was sold for.  Because it was so cheap some collectors bought it only
for the chance to have a (gasp!) real box set in their collection!!! I
have heard that there was one or maybe two further tries at improving
the restoration but have not seen info that explains how to tell which
one is the good transfer, and if even that transfer if good.  A couple
of years ago I heard one of these sides played on a radio station.  I
had not heard the intro to it, and since this is not really my favorite
kind of music I am not really that familiar with Johnson.  I noted and
said aloud, "What a LOUSY transfer."  And then I heard the back announce
identification of the performer.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com