[78-L] Elvin Jones etc [was fwd: Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 23 08:54:58 PST 2009

eugene hayhoe wrote:
I don't believe I've ever heard a record with Elvin Jones on it that
didn't have very strong grooves, regardless of the personnel, tempo,
materials, etc. He's not unique in that among post-bebop drummers, but
I'm guessing there's not much interest in putting together a list like
that on this list (not that I'm much of a listmaking type anyway).
Pullen-Adams-Richmond was just the Mingus band w/o Charles (and both
were great bands to my mind).

Gene
I find Jones's "kaleidoscopic" drumming interesting the first time
round, but tedious after that. It becomes a distraction from what's
going on around him. Danny Richmond, I thought, was a plodder,
following, rather than creating the beat. The same with Dennis Charles
and Art Blakey.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4712 (20091223) __________

http://www.eset.com