[78-L] Stylus size question for Gennett

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Tue Dec 22 17:29:20 PST 2009

You might get slightly better results with a 2.2 or 2.0 truncated
conical tip.  Then again, you might not!

Vintage Jazz Mart published a list of recommendations, as follows:
STYLI SIZE

LABEL TYPES AND/PERIODS

00.18"

Useful for some acoustic Richmond Gennett recordings: Some early
aluminium and acetate transcription discs.

0.0020"

Extremely useful for the majority of acoustic Richmond Gennetts.
Strangely, the Wolverine Orchestra’s Fidgety Feet/Jazz Me Blues like
a whopping 0.0035"! Also a number of acoustic OKeh ‘field’ recordings
(e.g. the 1923 King Oliver OKehs) like this size.

0.0024/5"

Very useful for acoustic, ‘Truetone’ and some electric OKehs,
pre-1920 Victors, most post-war records. Many Paramount 12700 series.
English Columbias 1925-26 mainly prefer this size.

0.0028"

Post 1922 acoustic and electric Columbias, most electric OKehs,
acoustic and early electric Paramounts, Gennett (acoustic and
electric New York recordings and electric Richmond recordings),
Brunswick/ARC (acoustic and electrical), US Decca, Victor 1921-25,
most Plaza group acoustics, pre-1931 Parlophone, Black Swan, Cameo,
Pathé/Perfect lateral recordings. A good starting size to work up or
down from.

0.0032"

Useful for some Brunswick/Vocalion electrics, post-EMI merger English
Columbia/HMV/Parlophones, Columbia acoustics to 1922, some early US
Columbia electrics, also some later Columbia electrics where the
master has been heavily polished or high numbered stampers have been
used. Autograph, some Paramount 12800s (though these vary enormously
– up to 0.004"!

0.0035"

Most Victor Electrics post 1926, some very early Victors (1901-06),
Acoustic Vocalion, HMV/Zonophone 1925-31, most QRS, Plaza group
electrics, Edison Diamond Discs, most Electrobeam Gennett post-6400
issues.

0.004"

Early electric Victors (1925/6). One notable anomaly is the October
1927 Brunswick session by Johnny Dodds’ Black Bottom Stompers, where
the cutter was particularly blunt and all the sides from the session
need a 0.004" stylus.

Doug Pomeroy
POMEROY AUDIO
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services