[78-L] Stylus size question for Gennett

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 22 17:15:50 PST 2009

I lucked out on getting some of the Expert (Stanton fitting) custom styli in
a collection I bought last Spring.  There was a 3.8 which is wonderful for
both 1920s Victor electrics and almost and UK pressing famous for "crackle".
It's also very useful for lots of earlier acoustics (Grand Prizes, Monarchs,
some Columbias, etc.)  It's very useful.  As dl says, the 2.5 is great for
transcriptions and most Edisons....sometimes a 1.0 mil works even better on
them, though, and others even do well with the 3.8...I've always said you
really roll the dice when you lay an Edison on the turntable for a transfer.

I've got almost every Expert stylus for the Stanton from the 1.0 up to the
4.0.  The 2.5 and 3.8 are the ones I use most often.

Sean