[78-L] Net privacy and integrity (was: The Christmas Songs)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Tue Dec 22 17:06:00 PST 2009

Thanks, Mike, for your effort to sort things out. Those were sensible words
and I agree with most of them.
However, what we're talking about are really two kinds of integrity. The
first one is the right for everyone to remain anonymous on the list. It
could be George W Bush or Vera Lynn lurking, and they should be able to do
so. But I agree: those who prefer to play that game should avoid being
provocative. Confrontation is necessary sometimes, but an open fight is more
honest than anonymous attacks. Fortunately those provocative lurkers tire
quickly, and are easy to recognize. They've never worried me on this list.

The other type of integrity is a more delicate matter. It has to do with
respect for other members' ideas and opinions, even their idiosyncracies and
temperament. To some extent it's a family affair, as you say - especially
for those of you who know each other personally. This gives a greater
freedom to joke and jest, within limits as well.
I do appreciate this familiar tone on this list; that's one of the reasons
I'm here since 1999. But even in a family I expect certain rules of
conduct - etiquette, if you wish. One such thing is: never attribute
opinions, thoughts, hidden motives to the other guy. It's up to him to
express his views and thoughts and explain his motives. Just as it is for
you to express your own. That's to respect integrity.
Another thing is: be careful to generalize from group belongings. All Irish
aren't Catholics, all redhairs aren't Irish etc. It's up to the Irish  and
redhairs to tell you what they are, just as you may or may not disclose your
beliefs and hair colour. That's to respect integrity.
We all err in these matters, I'm afraid. When I do, please complain.
Kristjan