[78-L] World 1920s Records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 21 19:52:45 PST 2009

From: Jeff Lichtman <jeff at swazoo.com>
> As I explained in my preceding message,

Which I did just see

> Pitch Shift in Sound Forge is not the correct tool for Jamie's needs.
> He should use Pitch Bend.

That's a new one!  I love it when the design geeks misuse a long
established term and then create a new one to replace the old one.  I
wasn't blaming you, I was blaming the geeks that designed the program
and min-named the function!  For years manufacturers have been putting
the word "PITCH" on CD and turntable variable-speed controls.

> I agree that the name "Pitch Shift" for speeding up or slowing
> down a recording is confusing. Actually, Sound Forge uses the
> same tool both to change the speed of a recording and to adjust
> the pitch without changing the speed (there's a "Preserve Duration"
> option that makes it do the latter). But when I'm explaining how
> to use a piece of software, I need to use the terminology of the
> software to avoid confusion.

RIGHT!  Now you've explained it.

> I'm sorry that I didn't understand what Jamie needed
> in the first place.

I suspected that, but knowing that the geeks who design these programs
usually mis-name these functions, I couldn't be sure!

> I hope I've cleared up any confusion. - Jeff Lichtman

You have, and did a good job of explaining it!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com