[78-L] oBoo turning a blind eye to bootlegs?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 21 17:31:18 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> This may be a rare occurrence, but the folks at oBoo (aka the world's
> favourite on line auction site) seem to be asleep at the wheel.
> Earlier in the week some numpty listed 4 Kiss bootleg lps in the 78
> section. I reported the listing violation. With a bit over one day to
> go -- the listings are still there. And to add to the mix, the same
> numpty has added 3 Ozzy Osborne bootleg lps, listed as 78s, just today.
> Hmmmm ..... we'll see what reporting these will do

Probably not a lot?! These "bootlegs" are generally unofficial/illicit
private
recordings of live performances...meaning they aren't technically illegal
except in terms of copyright laws...and it is open to question who...if
indeed anybody...is actually losing money they might otherwise have
made...?!

They have musical importance as "records" of the sound of musicians at a
given point in their careers...and it is open to question whether their
availibility has prevented the sale of any official, for-profit recordings?!

BTW, MY position...as a collector of 78rpm records...is that I wish
that these recordings had existed in earlier decades!

Steven C. Barr