[78-L] Test Pressing?

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Mon Dec 21 16:17:37 PST 2009

Greg, this record is by the ubiquitous Four Sicilians.  This should be a waltz.  Did they write "valcek" on the test?

It was issued on Columbia as E4655.  For the Italians, it was titled "Italian Boys"; for the Slovenians, "Slovenian Wedding".

Enjoy.  If you want any more records by this group, let us know.  There are bound to be plenty of people on this list with 1000s of their records somewhere in their basement, garage, or storage bin.  If I remember correctly (caveat:  I may have this wrong), their voicing influenced some of Lionel Belasco's waltz records in the late 1920s.

As for what purpose test pressings were used, I'll defer to those expert on this subject.  When I cut an album with The Growling Tiger in 1979, I didn't know from test pressings.  We recorded in 16 tracks, but the album was issued with only two songs in stereo.  After the album had been released, Dick S. informed me about test pressings and why a producer should always have one made.  Rounder innocently perpetuated this error when they reissued the album as a cd./steve