[78-L] Pop and Jazz Singers

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 10:45:07 PST 2009

simmonssomer wrote:
> Here we go then. A year-end list of............
> The Best of The Male Pop and Jazz Singers on  our 78's.
>

> Who has been left off.
> Who should be left off?
> (Does anyone care?)
>
> Bing Crosby                   Rudy Vallee
> Al Bowlly                       Al Jolson
> Buddy Clark                  Perry Como
> Louis Armstrong            Smith Ballew
> Fred Astaire                  Billy Jones
> Nat Cole                       Elmer Feldkamp
> Jimmy Rushing               Dick Robertson
> David Allyn                   Eddie Howard
> Chick Bullock               Skinny Ennis
> Tony Bennett                Woody Herman
> Frank Sinatra
> Matt Dennis                  Jack Leonard
> Elvis Presley                 Dick Haymes
> Jack Teagarden
>                                    (The blank spaces, mercifully,  were
> Carmen Lombardo, Ozzie Nelson and Frankie Trumbauer.)
> Mel Torme
> Fats Waller
> Joe Williams
> Cliff Edwards
> Gene Austin
>
> Al S.

What's the attraction with Tony Bennett? To me, he represents everything
that is ordinary in singing.

Astaire's style was done much better by Dick Robertson. Avoid duplication!

Delete "Dennis" and substitute "Buddy Stewart" (whom he sounds like).

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4707 (20091221) __________

http://www.eset.com