[78-L] World 1920s Records

Jamie Kelly otrjamie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 05:00:08 PST 2009

Yes correct, what a nice and interesting find.

Australia’s first locally recorded discs were pre-electric"Austral Duplex"
issues, cut in the latter half of 1925 at Noel Pemberton-Billing’s World
Record Company (Wocord) studio, in the Melbourne suburb of Brighton.
"Austral Duplex" records were eight inches in diameter, 78 rpm, and had a
thin black shellac laminate surface on a cardboard backing. The "Austral
Duplex" discs were very finely grooved (even more finely than the later
"Broadcast" eight inch discs), permitting almost four minutes of program to
be accommodated on each side. Most of these discs were pressed wildly
off-centre, so that they "wow" badly at each revolution, and they were
recorded at widely variant speeds, from 65 to 90 rpm!

Jamie