[78-L] Colored vinyl records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 19 22:36:50 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Try *90* years ago?! Actually, 91 years, and just over a month ago...?!

The line was "I first SAW them on George Blacker's wall perhaps 35 years
ago", NOT THAT THEY WERE ISSUED 35 YEARS AGO.  Guys, be more careful in
your quotes so that you don't confuse Steve.

>>> Durium's coated paper records were brown.

> Durium's "Hit Of The Week" records were on light-brown paperboard,
> which was then coated with clear "Durium" plastic...thickly enough
> that the recording could be pressed in the plastic layer. Surprisingly durable!

When the plastic flakes off, the flakes still looks dark brown to me,
not clear.  If it was clear they might have tried to print the labels
under the coating, or likewise do some pictures on the coated side, not
just the uncoated reverse side.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com