[78-L] The Christmas Songs

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Dec 19 18:24:02 PST 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> "Good King Wenceslas" (lyrically, anyway) looked out "On the Feast Of
> Stephen!" Now, this being to some extent a personal issue for me...when
> IS/WAS "The feast of Stephen?" And, is it related in any way to Christmas?
---
Related, yes. The feast is celebrated to commemorate the first Christian
martyr, St Stephen. The date of the feast was set to the first day after
Christmas, that is December 26th (according to Western calendar, December
27th Eastern).
At the same time it falls well within "The Twelve Days Of Christmas", and is
thus related to Christmas, just as "Jingle Bells" and "Sleigh Ride" has
become.

The legend of King Wenceslas is a different matter. This is a Czech saint
(from medieval times) who is commemorated on September 28th (Czech Statehood
Day). But he made miracles, as the legend tells, on December 26th. So John
Mason Neale, who was writing Christmas Carols in the 1850's, saw an
opportunity to use the legend for one. "Good King Wenceslas" was published
in 1853; a few years before that he had included the legend in a children's
book.

And, BTW:  According to Catholic tradition, St Stephen is patron of the
horses. Could have been cats, but that's St. Gertrude of Nivelles
http://www.catholictradition.org/Saints/nivelles.htm
Kristjan