[78-L] The Christmas Songs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 19 16:44:39 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom" <nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com>
> Another one for you.
> "Lonesome Christmas Blues" by Blind Blake who was, imho, the best delta
> blues guitarist of them all, and who disappeared without a trace (and
> presumably died) in the early 30's.

This, in fact, opens a whole new can of worms...which MIGHT be under
discussion
on any (all?) of the "blues e-mail lists?!" That is to say, how many
Christmas-themed
BLUES tunes were recorded?

I can personally note "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" (which I used to perform
regularly at "blues jams" around this time of year!)...a straight 12-bar
tune,
POSSIBLY (?) by Lieber & Stoller, found on "Elvis' Christmas Album"
1957? LP; however, I recall having heard others, and there MAY be new
ones being written...?!

Steven C. Barr