[78-L] David Lennick really knows how to pack 78's for shipment!!!!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 18 21:25:12 PST 2009

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> At 05:58 PM 12/18/2009, you wrote:
>> Thanks for the kind words. What Robert failed to mention is that we'd both
>> written off that shipment as lost. Know when I sent it?
>>
>> OCTOBER 1! From Lewiston NY (so much for Martha and her dogs).
>>
>> Media Snail, indeed.
>>
>> dl
>
> I didn't think the snail mail service was worth mentioning to the
> list but it's ok that you brought it up. Now where can I find a
> complete unbroken set of all seven Top Ten sets? The CD transfers are
> good but I want the 78's too!! Guess I'll have to start searching
> that bay site for them......

It's worth mentioning because eBay, as I understand it, allows sellers to
charge only the Media Mail shipping rate of $4 (although is that per disc? Can
you make a killing on a Gilbert and Sullivan set of 11 discs?)..I've had hardly
any problems using Media Mail over the years, but this was an exception. CD's I
shipped to Bulgaria took less time to arrive than this package did.

I found 6 or all 7 of the Top Ten sets on eBay one time, but the idiot didn't
pack them well and there was some smashage. These things are pressed on very
unstable shellac to begin with, and the Fibber McGee and Molly set in
particular seems prone to self-destructing..I ran across broken and incomplete
sets for years before finding a good one.

dl