[78-L] The Christmas Songs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 18 20:37:48 PST 2009

Kristjan Saag wrote:

> Mike Biel answered:
>> Sleigh Bells do not a Christmas song make. Perhaps in Sweden which is
>> one of the countries which is generally homogenic and overwhelmingly of
>> one ethnic and religious background, anything relating with winter is
>> considered to be relating to Christmas.  But I would tend to think that
>> even there, people stop singing "Silent Night", "Oh Tannenbaum", "Adeste
>> Fidelis", "Little Drummer Boy", "Good King Wenceslas", "Oh Holy Night",
>> "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", "White Christmas", and other REAL
>> Christmas songs around December 28 or so, while "Sleigh Ride", "Winter
>> Wonderland", "Let it Snow", "Jingle Bells" etc will continue thru
>> January, February, and maybe even March (depending on the weather, not a
>> holiday).
> ---
> I've yet to see record companies starting to issue "Best Of Winter"
> compilations with Santafree songs, good until March in Massachusetts and All
> Year Round in Alaska.
> I assure you: "Sleigh Ride" is as dead as a doornail after December 26 even
> in the iciest parts of Northern Norway.

Horsefeathers, Kristjan..Sleigh Ride and other winter songs will be played on
radio stations well into January. And I have seen several LPs of winter
compilations, going back to a Jo Stafford one in the fifties, a Skitch
Henderson one that was half classical, quite a few others. They'd usually be
filed with the Christmas LPs but they provided a nice buffer for building up to
Christmas and moving away from it, AND they filled the requirement of playing
seasonal music without ramming Jesus down everyone's throat even back in the
60s when (a) far less of the stuff was required, programmed or even available
and (b) nobody gave a rat's ass about political correctness.  Ooh, I said a bad
word.

dl (who gets wished Merry Christmas a lot more than you'd expect)