[78-L] The Christmas Songs

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Dec 18 19:59:00 PST 2009

Technically speaking, "Jingle Bells" was written in the FALL.

A few years ago, I wrote this as part of an essay called "The 12 Songs of Christmas" - true histories of some of our best known holiday songs.

The most well known, most often sung Christmas song in America
actually got its start as a song for Thanksgiving. In 1840, a
Massachusetts-born church organist named James Pierpont was writing special
music for a Thanksgiving service, when he looked out his window and saw some
boys racing their sleds down a hill. A catchy little tune came into his head,
and after putting on his coat, he trudged over to the home of Mrs. Otis
Waterman, who owned the only piano in town. Upon hearing the song, Mrs.
Waterman commented, “that’s a merry little jingle you have there,” adding
further inspiration to Pierpont’s memories of races with sleds drawn by horses.

            Originally
entitled One Horse Open Sleigh, the song was first sung by Pierpont’s
choir at Thanksgiving services, the most important holiday in New
 England at the time. The song was so well received, that he was
asked to have it performed again at the Christmas service. Those who heard it
took it back to their own communities, under the impression that it had been written
specifically for the Christmas holiday. Pierpont published the song as Jingle
Bells in 1857 and it quickly became one of our best-loved holiday songs.
Too bad it is sung only at Christmas. We need more Thanksgiving songs.
Cary Ginell