[78-L] The Christmas Songs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Dec 18 19:37:34 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> the odd thing is that there is only one fairly recent addition
>> ..."Jingle Bell Rock"
> That one was 1957.  Here are some newer than that.
> Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (1958)
> Chipmunk Song (1958)
> Run Run Rudolph (1958)
> Do You Hear What I Hear (1962)
> Christmas Time Is Hear (Charlie Brown Christmas 1965)
> You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch (1966)
> Feliz Navidad (1970)
> Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (1979)
> All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey 1994)

Point being this...!
Being an impoverished old f...ogey, I attend Christmas charity dinners,
which always open with a "carol sing-along!" This always includes ALL
the old familiar Christmas carols...as well as "Jingle Bell Rock." I don't
recall ANY of the above-listed tunes being included...nor, I suspect,
would our mythical "Joe Gabroni" know the words nor be able to
sing along without guidance...?!

For whatever dubious (and "lack of musical taste...?!") reason, I find
that "Jingle Bell Rock" (as bad as it is...?!) is usually included in the
list of "good old Christmas carols" of this "carol sing-along"...?!

"Rudolph..." is also somewhat included; oddly enough, Chuck Berry's
(another "boomer icon?!) follow-up, "Run. Run. Rudolph," does NOT
get sung to any noticeably extent...?!

Steven C. Barr
("White Christmas" does somewhat qualify...?!)