[78-L] Colored vinyl records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 18 19:32:02 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Other colored vinyl:
> PETER AND THE WOLF with David Bowie..green, with a red label. Yich.

Yes this does win the award as the most disgusting color combination
ever issued on a regular record, with the possible exception of the
green label -F foreign series pressed on Royal Blue Columbia material.
When I was going heavily on esay for Peter and the Wolf it was fun
watching how the green Bowie record was described -- if it was so rare,
why were there twenty of them being offered at a time???  The funniest
was when a dealer offered a black vinyl copy, saying it was not rare or
valuable which made it easy for me to get it for a couple of bucks.
(Actually, THIS is the rare one!) Turns out it was pressed on a very
high quality vinyl which is very, very, very slightly translucent brown.
 When I used to take my recording classes to the QCA pressing plant in
Cincinnati, this was the vinyl that they charged very high prices for.

When Decca started offering their premium 78s in a CU prefixed series,
these vinyl pressings were made in the Vogue picture record plant they
had taken over, and these are also very, very, very slightly translucent
dark, dark purplish brown.

Hey, does anybody else have a V-Disk pressed in FIVE colors like I do?
The central part is opaque white, and four outside segments are
transparent red, yellow, and two other colors I don't remember right
now.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com