[78-L] Early portable electric recording?

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Fri Dec 18 15:24:05 PST 2009

Hi Dave,

Whether they were "Orthophonic" would depend on the
curve imposed by the cutting amp they used.

As I understand it, the term Orthophonic refers to
the Victor's curve with the 500 Hz turnover, but the
early Victor 78s used other frequencies at various
times during the early years, so they were not properly
Orthophonic IMHO.

There are no simple answers?

Doug