[78-L] Top Dukes

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Dec 18 12:21:21 PST 2009

> In my opinion the 1939-1940  Ellington recordings were his very best work
> and boasted
> an unequaled orchestra full of soloists and section men of the first rank.
>
> Al Simmons

We're close,  Al...but I'll go for 1940-41...cuz I've gotta have "John
Hardy's Wife"!!

Not to go out on a limb and maybe get sawed off...but wasn't it when Blanton
joined that everything just perked up with Ellington?

I can still remember the first time I heard the Ellington Victor of
Sidewalks of New York when I was 12  years old (1965) and how all of a
sudden I  understood what a bass in a big band was all about!

It's still my favorite Ellington record...that last passage with all the
reeds in perfect unison and blend just slays me every time,  even after
hundreds of plays.

Taylor