[78-L] The Christmas Songs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 18 08:29:08 PST 2009

Amazing how some songs that were originally heard only in context have become
ubiquitous..yesterday I heard Thurl Ravenscroft's sub-basement basso bellowing
all over K-Mart. A five pound bag of wet mice goes to the 78-eller who
identifies the tune (see below).

I've also heard Louis Armstrong's "Cool Yule" twice in supermarkets.

Absolutely nobody played Feliz Navidad when it first came out. That one took a
couple of years to catch on.

As for that whiney piece of sh*t from the Charlie Brown Christmas, I kept
hearing that on PA systems for a couple of years and trying to figure what it
was and who it was and why anyone in their right mind would inflict it on us.
Depressing, horribly performed, not in the least stimulating to shoppers.
Finally I recognized it as something from a program I watched in its first
incarnation and which I thought was lousy then and time has not changed my opinion.

dl