[78-L] What's the most recorded jazz tune of all time?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 05:39:08 PST 2009

eugene hayhoe wrote:
But what about things which preceed those terms (e.g. those with jazz
backgrounds who did 'easy listening,' like Ray Conniff), society and
'Mickey Mouse' bands,' pop and pop crooners (some consider Sinatra,
Bennett, Torme, Peggy Lee, Helen Ward, etc., etc. 'jazz singers; maybe
they are, but they don't interest me in the least, and I don't know if
Lord contains those kinds of singers.

Also, seems likely to me that Lord and his accomplices have probably not
heard everything in the discography (that would be A WHOLE lot of
listening).
===========
I haven't checked to see if these artists are included, but they would
make up a very small percentage of the total. Sinatra, Bennett and Torme
don't interest me, but not because they aren't jazz singers. Peggy Lee
and Helen Ward I like in selected doses. On the other hand, Ella
Fitzgerald is a jazz singer, but she doesn't interest me either! Neither
do Carmen McRae and Betty Carter.

Probably, most of what Lord lists wouldn't interest me, jazz or
otherwise. There just aren't enough hours in the day to seek them to
find out. Unless you're absolutely dedicated to listening to 1947
versions of "Body & Soul"! Make that 1950--I have versions by Alec
Templeton, Dinah Shore and Smith Ballew, which Lord doesn't list...

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4695 (20091217) __________

http://www.eset.com