[78-L] REMINDER Thurs Eve Leah's "For the Record" at ARSC NYC

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 16 09:51:10 PST 2009

-- REMINDER --
For all of you in the NYC area, or who might be able to travel to the
NYC area, I hope you will consider attending the NYC ARSC Thursday
evening when Leah will present a special screening of her documentary
about record collectors "For the Record".   ALL are invited. No
membership is required. And you will get to see the legendary outtakes
and even a few that were not seen in Washington, DC.

ARSC New York Chapter  December 2009 Meeting
Thursday, 12/17/09 7PM to 9PM;  doors (and refreshments) at 6:30

Shepard Hall (the Gothic building) – Recital Hall (Room 95, Basement
level)
City College Campus
West 140th Street & Convent Avenue, New York
or enter at 138th Street off Convent Avenue

The CUNY Sonic Arts Center
Voluntary contributions to help defray our expenses are welcome!
An elevator is located in the center of the building

FEATURING LEAH BIEL, WHO WILL INTRODUCE HER DOCUMENTARY FILM  “For the
Record”

As the daughter of Mike Biel, an extraordinarily enterprising
“omnivore” collector and major ARSC presence, Leah has grown up with
and developed an unusually keen appreciation of the collector’s
personality and
foibles.

“'For the Record' is a one-hour video documentary that examines the
activity of record collecting from a positive view of 16 collectors,
many of whom are ARSC members. Traveling from Toronto to Texas, from
Connecticut to Kentucky, I visited most of the collectors in their home
base where you will see them, their collections, and even some archival
footage from The Syndicate meetings and ARSC conventions past. The video
was done as my thesis for the Master of Fine Arts degree at Brooklyn
College”.

Introduced at last spring’s ARSC Conference in Washington, D.C.,
“For the Record” is both informative and richly entertaining.

DIRECTIONS

Subway:
Take the 1 train to 137th Street City College
and walk north to 140th St. & Broadway,
then go east to 140th St. & Convent Ave.

Take the A, B, C, or D trains to 145th St,
go south on St. Nicholas to 141st St, (one long block),
then west one block to Convent Ave.
and south one more block to 140th & Convent Ave.

Bus:
M3 goes on Convent Avenue with stops at 138 & 140 St.
M4 and M5 on Broadway
M 101,102,103 on Amsterdam Ave (one block West of Convent Ave.)

Thursday, 12/17/09 at the CUNY Sonic Arts Center
NY ARSC Meeting from 7PM to 9PM ~ doors (and refreshments) at 6:30 ~