[78-L] Playing old discs with old sets (was: Warner"Big Band"set - Go watch it! <vbg> )

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 15 23:43:36 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
> We've used tungs-tone needles before, and never noticed signs of wear
> (black stuff on the needle, for instance)
> Considering all the very many near-pristine Red Seals out there, either
> they
> were never played or needle-changing was religiously followed.

Well, Red Seal records were VERY expensive (especially in terms of the
pre-WWII economy!), so their owners presumably would have taken
VERY good care of them! Unlike "popular" records, they didn't become
out of date in a couple of months (it never occured to the owners of
pop-tune "hit records" that we 78 collectors would someday value
them...?!)...so the owners of Red Seal discs probably used a new
needle for each playing (and, as well, could afford that luxury!)!

Steven C. Barr