[78-L] 1934 Stop-Upton Sinclair shorts (Was: A word of warning . . .)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 14 22:34:45 PST 2009

Steve Shapiro <steveshapiro1 at juno.com>wrote:
>> Has anyone ever reissued the Hollywood shorts from 1934 slicing
>> Upton Sinclair to shreds?/steve
>> http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1988/6/1988_6_34.shtml
>> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,748070,00.html

WOW!  What a story!  I had never heard about this before.  And we think
that political campaigns are dishonest now!  Actually I am most
surprised that the Time magazine article was not more slanted against
Sinclair.  This puts a whole new light on the non-depression escapist
films of the 30s.  How did they ever get to do "Grapes of Wrath" with
schmucks like Mayer running the studios?

From: Jeff Sultanof <jeffsultanof at gmail.com>

> I have to check to make doubly sure, but I believe that one of them, paid
> for by Louis B. Mayer as I remember, was reissued on the DVD of King Vidor's
> Our Daily Bread. Does anyone have this disc to check this out and let me
> know if my memory is still good?   Thanks,  Jeff Sultanof

The Image Entertainment release has California Election update Nos 1 & 2

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com