[78-L] Happy Birthday to You

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 14 17:55:51 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>I didn't know that...it explains why some old juke box records are grey to
> white on one side,  and clean on the other.

Up until 1953?, 78-based jukeboxes could simply mechanically bring a
single 78rpm record from its position "in storage" and place it on the
turntable, same side up. Since in most cases one side was the "hit," this
worked just fine! In later years, jukeboxes became capable of turning
discs over (I spent MANY quarters playing the "B side" of a ZZ Top
hit!)...!

Steven C. Barr