[78-L] Climax record abrupt start

Mark S. Chester mschester at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 14 07:31:06 PST 2009

I have a number of early Double-Disc Columbia records which are couplings of
very early single-sided discs. A few have retained the spoken announcements,
but many have had the grooves at the very start obliterated; I assume that
the stamper was made from a "mother" on which the beginning of the groove
was filled in. I'm assuming that the Standard, Climax, etc. versions were
also made from the altered stamper. On at least one, the very tail end of
the announcement can be heard  - I forget which, but I have one where the
"-d" of "record" can be heard before the introduction begins. I think I also
have the same disc as a black-and-silver single-sided issue, with the
announcement intact.

I assume that this was done to mask the fact that the recordings were in
fact old re-issues. A spoken announcement would have been a dead giveaway.

Mark S. Chester
Phoenixville, PA