[78-L] Nice CD find..where was it when I needed it?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 12 15:17:19 PST 2009

Not OT, just about every title here was issued on 78.

I occasionally look in at one of the public libraries when I'm in the
neighborhood, to see what's on the sale table. And what should turn up today
but a double Collectors Choice set, "Instrumental Gems of the Fifties". The
sign over the table said $2 per CD but the librarian said "Gimme a buck" (do I
look that decrepit? <http://www.civiclightoperacompany.com/dlennick.html>).

Anyway, gang, the discs were in fine shape, and the sound is great on them.
Only one fake stereo in the whole batch (Joe 'Fingers' Carr's "Down
Yonder)..even some that could have been stereo (Moonglow & Theme From Picnic)
weren't. Both sides of Shifting Whispering Sands were included (with the usual
terrible slow down and join, which could easily be edited and overlapped). "The
Enchanted Sea" (Martin Denny), "Peter Gunn" (Ray Anthony) and "Patricia" (Perez
Prado) were in stereo, although I think the wrong "Patricia" may have been used.

And where the golly gosh stinky poo heck was this last year when I was doing
year-by-year compilations of the 50s hits?

Nice to know that it's still out there, unlike so many other Collectors Choice
sets.
http://www.amazon.com/Instrumental-Gems-Fifties-Various-Artists/dp/samples/B00001ZWD0/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2