[78-L] Epic Vinyl 78's

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 12 13:16:38 PST 2009

Victor used Victrolac for some commercial 78 pressings in the 30s, notably the
Stokowski recording of "Gurrelieder". (Ironically, I think the Program
Transcriptions of the same work were shellac! Bob Hodge has a set.) As for
Cosmo, I saw several shellac issues of Tubby The Tuba before I finally found a
vinyl one (and it was gorgeous..I used it for the CD transfer on Naxos AudioBooks).

That quiet stuff Victor began using in the 50s cracks while the discs are
sitting minding their own business. And Mercury and Dot were pressed on it as
well from some point. I've also seen breakable US Columbias from the mid 50s
(not that many, which has me wondering whether RCA sometimes took on the
overflow).

As for Columbia's styrene, this one amazes me..I thought they used it only for
budget LPs in the 60s (Harmony), but the other week I held a box set of the
Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert. Early 50s green labels, and one disc was
typical vinyl (no raised edge or center) and the other was styrene. Huh!

dl