[78-L] POPS - Lou-eeee or lou-esss ?

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Dec 12 08:56:08 PST 2009

He pronounces is "Louie" on "C'est Si Bon." And there was also the Bluebird recording of "Laughin' Louie."

There are some who think that the "Hello, Dolly" pronunication was merely a send-up of himself so he could emphasize his name better with the "s" sound. According to someone who examined Armstrong's home recorded tapes now in the Archives, Louis pronounced
his own name as "Lewis." Many broadcast announcers, fans, and acquaintances called him
"Louie" and the Armstrong Archives has a 1983 videotape of Lucille
Armstrong in which she calls her late husband "Louie." Musicians and
close friends usually called him "Pops," so what's in a name? I suppose in the end, it's just a matter of taste.

Cary Ginell