[78-L] The Christmas Songs

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 15:38:52 PST 2009

That version, from the movie, of "Have Yourself" is great.

For me, it's "If We Make It Through December" by Merle Haggard. Faron Young does a nice version too. Or maybe Buck Owens's "Blue Christmas Lights". Or Kirsty MacColl and Shane McGowan battling over "Fairytale of New York". Hey, her dad Ewan made 78s, I think, for Topic Records, so it's almost on topic.

Bob Dylan's got a Christmas record out this year. It's pretty good in places, but jeez, his voice sounds like raking leaves on a gravel walk nowadays. He makes Tom Waits sound like Joan Sutherland.