[78-L] The Christmas Songs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 11 15:35:55 PST 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> Assimilation? You want true horror, listen to Neil Diamond's atrocious
>> mangling
>> of "The Little Drummer Boy" (a song whose original version still turns up
>> on
>> 78). I suggest playing that one full blast in all warring countries.
>>
>> dl
>

> Yow...talk about the "horrors of war."  Playing that record would be a
> lose-lose situation for both sides...or maybe win-win.    They'd all lay
> down arms in order to plug their ears.
>
> I think I hear that Hairy Simian Choir record of the song more each year
> than any other seasonal tune.  I'd enjoy it if it hadn't been beaten into my
> brain so often for so long.
>
> I don't really have an Xmas  fave,  but one which is dear to me is the Judy
> Garland movie version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."  The song
> and her interpretation capture more of the spirit of the Holidays than any
> other piece of music.
>
> Taylor

Whoa..that's the wrist slasher version, isn't it? Yeah, appropriate in these
miserable times as well. Me, I still like the Hairy Simian original recording,
not the remake on Kapp. And I'm amazed to hear how often contemporary
performers feel they have to add the verse to "White Christmas" (and then drag
it out like a funeral dirge). Izzy dropped it for a good reason.

Another fave..The Marvelous Toy..Chad Mitchell Trio (NOBODY except me ever
played this as a Christmas song)

To hell with:

The Jackson 5's Santy Claus is Coming to Town (He is! He really is!)
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (by ANYBODY)
The Nutcracker Suite (at any time, by anyone, whether it's Fred Waring or
Leopold Stokowski)