[78-L] Terry Teachout on POPS

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:23:27 PST 2009

I just returned from a reading by Terry Teachout of his new Armstrong Bio “Pops” at the Free Library of Philadelphia. The auditorium was maybe 1/3 full (about 75 people). Teachout began by showing a clip of the 1934 Copenhagen Concert and then read the full prologue of the book. He told how he had access to listen to all of Armstrong’s personal tapes at the Armstrong Home in Queens. He didn’t say he listened to ALL 365 hours of them. Then it was Q&A time and many folks commented more than asked about him. He then played a 1950s TV performance of Armstrong and the All Stars with Louis mostly singing.  There was almost no discussion of Armstrong’s instrumental recordings.

Earlier today Teachout was in Philly and interviewed for nearly an hour on Radio Times on NPR. I didn’t hear it but – for those who want to take the time (Cary?) – you can hear it at this URL, if you select Hour 2 - http://www.whyy.org/91FM/radiotimes.html

The reading lasted maybe 50 minutes and then he did a book signing. There were about 30 people in line to get their books signed so I couldn't chat with Terry afterwards.

I’m still going through my copy of the book (The Vitaphones are keeping me busy!)
 Steve