[78-L] Vinyl continues its comeback

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Dec 9 20:56:04 PST 2009

Of course they cue up specific tracks! Criminy, if they only "created rhythmic sounds," they wouldn't need more than one record in their libraries. I've seen DJs work, and they are very meticulous about what they select to play. They don't just drop a needle anywhere and move it back and forth. There are also sections of songs that produce just the right sound the DJs want. They also let records play, stop them, reverse them, let them play again; it's a new art form. You or I might not understand or appreciate it, but there are university courses in "mixology." People take this art form very seriously and you should respect it, even if it ain't your thang. If it wasn't for these people, Numark wouldn't have made a marvelous turntable that I use in my office. The TT200 plays 3 speeds, has a reverse motor (great for loosening particles of dust that cause momentary skipping), and has +/- variable pitch. It's been a workhorse for me and it works great. Numark wouldn't be manufacturing it if not for DJ use. It came with a straight tone arm, which is more conducive for scratching, but is hard on records, so I ordered an "S"-shaped one with mine that is better for just playing records.

Cary Ginell