[78-L] Windex

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 9 06:46:27 PST 2009

Before I bought the Monks Record Cleaning Machine, I used Windex on some
shellac discs (I already knew it would do nice work on lacquers and yes I know,
we'll hear from Dr. Goldman if we haven't already). It removed gunk but it also
left stains on 40s shellac, notably Decca and Capitol.

Graham Newton and I tried Windex in the mid 90s after Gilles St. Laurent, the
technician at the National Library in Ottawa, recommended a solution containing
a small amount of ammonia as perfect for cleaning palmitic acid off lacquers.
Graham then went after the secret formula and determined that the stuff was
safe. Don't use store brands, knock-offs or colours other than Original Formula
Blue. Or the Doctor's great products, of course.

By the way, I have some 16" discs which have some other kind of crud which will
not respond to Windex. Haven't figured what it is yet.

dl