[78-L] Windex

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Dec 8 23:13:48 PST 2009

I have gotten amazing results from cleaning "softcuts" with Windex.  I was given a few of these from 1950 to transfer to CD and the records looked like write-offs.  There was a grey grundgy waxy looking material all over the surface which almost obliterted the grooves.  Trying to play them yielded little but noise.  I applied Windex to them and the results were unbelievable.  The records now look brand new and when I play them, there is no surface noise whatsoever.  They sounded so clean that there was no need to apply CEDAR or any other noise reduction system.

The way I do this is as follows:  I went to a local "Color your World" store and bought a couple of paint pads.  I shoot Windex at the surface and let it sit for a few seconds, (no longer than 5).  Then I use a paint pad and follow the grooves two or three times.  I then take the other paint pad and holding the record under a tap running luke warm water, I follow the grooves again two or three times.  I shake off the excess water and pat it dry with paper towels, and Voila!  a new looking record.

Does anyone know if Windex is safe for shellac 78s?  I'm certainly aware of what alcohol can do to a shellac surface.

Even if you use dish soap and water, paint pads are excellent for digging the dirt out of the grooves.

db