[78-L] New (to me) contemporary 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 15:23:26 PST 2009

Just got a copy of a 78 released in the UK in 2006. Its a 10 inch
vinyl disk, sadly only one side at 78, by the Irish singer/
songwriter Duke Special. Because he incorporates 78s in his stage
show, V2 records (a label founded by Richard Branson 5 years after he
sold Virgin records), they released a his third single Last Night I
Nearly Died (But I Woke Up Just in Time), at 78 on one side of the 10
inch disk and at 45 (with 2 additional tracks) on the other side.

While they didn't do a vintage 78 era label like Korova (mimicking
the Decca Supreme label) did for Ian McCulloch's 1989 release of
September Song, the pressing is superb.

To the best of my knowledge this is the 'newest' contemporary 78 (of
new material)