[78-L] They are practically Giving away the Vitaphone DVD set!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 6 19:29:02 PST 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> I really have to start checking out Big Lots. Even if the stuff they carry is
> bootlegged as I've heard some of it is. I picked up the Broadway Melody disc a
> few years ago because I'd heard about the "extras", which are not noted at all
> on the outside cover..nice way to induce collectors to buy the stuff.
>
> dl

No, its all legit stuff that are cut-outs, overstocks, and broken sets.
Of course some things might be "bootlegged" in that "it fell off of a
truck"!    I just got "Flying Down To Rio" there which is from one of
the Astaire-Rogers boxes.  I also bought 3 Magnavox DVD recorders there
and wanted a 4th but they only had 3.  Got to check some of the other
stores.  Got a $10 off coupon with each of the first two I bought during
black friday weekend, so used one for the third when the weekend was
over and the coupons became valid.   Got 4 $3.00 discs for a total of
$2.00 with the other coupon.

> Mark S. Chester wrote:
>
>> I also recently acquired (elsewhere) "The Broadway Melody", the 1929 Best
>> Picture which contains performances of the Freed-Brown song of that name, as
>> well as "The Wedding of the Painted Doll", "The Boy Friend," and of course,
>> "You Were Meant for Me."

Which disc did you get?  The one that is labeled "Special Edition" and
has the poster the full size on the cover, or the more recent one with a
black border?   The one with the black border was released in Jan 08 and
Amazon notes a running time of 110 minutes, while the SE was released in
Feb 05 and is noted as 100 minutes.  The IMBD listing says "110 min/101
min TCM print".  Apparently neither has the Technicolor "Wedding of the
Painted Doll" but I thought it HAD been found.

>> The "Broadway Melody" disc is currently available at Big Lots for $3... I
>> snapped a bunch of them up.
>>
>> Mark S. Chester
>> Phoenixville, PA

The new edition is why the old edition is selling so cheap.  I know I
have the older one but I don't see it here (not unusual) but it might be
up in Brooklyn with Leah.  I remember watching the J&H with her.

Mike Biel    mbiel at mbiel.com