[78-L] Found - Old G&T's Victor Opera Series ?

bruce78rpm at comcast.net bruce78rpm at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 18:30:04 PST 2009

Today I was given some very old G&T Victor Records, 13 10" and 3 12" Black and Gold Label. They are all from the opera Travotore by Verdi, recorded in Europe and performed by a variety of artists such as Luigi Colazza, Ernest Caronna, Signora Bernacchi, Torres Dd Luna, LaScala Chorus, Lina Mileri, Clotilde Esposito, Francesco Cigada, Giovanni Valls, Lucia Crestani, Angela de Angelis, Ida Mimeli, Renzo Minolfi, Cesare Preve, & Signor Martinez-Patti.
The numbers are consecutive I (61153-61166) with a couple numbers missing and the 12" are 71028,71029, & 71030. Some of these have a Big written G in the runout which I am guessing refers to one of the Gaisburg Bros who maybe was the recording engineer on these records. Were these records part of an actual Opera series put out by G&T& Victor for the American Market? and if so how many different Operas were offered in this manner. I have never run across this many early selections like this in one collection with so many consecutive numbers from the same Opera. They seem to be from 1904 and 1906.

Thanks,

Bruce