[78-L] three riddles

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 6 12:37:05 PST 2009

Jan Hovers a écrit :

>> The second question is more difficult. I am trying to find the date of
>> a Soviet-popular semi-jazz recording which was released on the
>> official state-label. The label is printed in Russian writing.
>> According to a Russian lady, who helped me in this matter, the
>> translation reads:
>>
>> Quick Dance (A. Cfasman) - Orchestra conducted by A. Cfasman -
>> Leningrad Factory - #3 - 6376/4 - ?-0386 - rocy5289-50 - Ministry of
>> culture of the USSR

In Soviet records the only discographically segnificant number is the
matrix number  6376 ;  The other numbers deal with production, and what
you show as rocy5289-50 is actually (in our alphabet) GOST  which is an
abbreviation for government industrial standard, and 5289 is the one for
producing phonograph records and appears on almost all Soviet records
and is NOT a record number.  But the -50 suffix does tell me that this
pressing itself was made between 1950 and 56 when the next revision of
5289 happened.

 > I am trying to locate the recording date and place.

There is a discography on-line for Alexander Tsfasman (which is actually
how his name is usually transliterated).

http://patefon.knet.ru/kdf/d_tsfas.html

 They list 6376 with the title "The Sounds of Jazz" recorded 8 Jan
1938.  His bio is here.

http://patefon.knet.ru/kdf/tsfasman.html

 > Can anyone direct me to a newsgroup that might be more specialized on
Soviet 78’s? Or do you know more about it yourself?

Well, I do know a lot but the patefon site had some great stuff, and
there is a small forum at another site russianrecords.com  If you join
there, say hello for me to my friend Alexander Tikhonov who is one of
the people who run it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com