[78-L] Weems' ongoing Heartaches

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 3 20:06:46 PST 2009

A clarification added after my last message..see below.

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Also note that Decca 25017 is in a series which Decca used to re-issue hit
> tunes...!

And in Canada, Compo probably simply decided to leave Heartaches in print on
2020 backed with Juliana..I've seen it as a postwar Canadian pressing and the
1949 Canadian catalog still lists it under that number.

In 1950, Decca bought Compo and the Canadian operation was probably brought
into line and made to use US numbers, so 25017 might have appeared up here in
that reissue series after that time. I know that in the sixties (and probably
before and after), Compo was required to issue everything Decca produced, even
if only 25 copies were pressed and distributed to radio stations. This had
something to do with establishing copyright, according to an old time record
promo man.