[78-L] RCA-AFB Talking Books

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 3 08:22:56 PST 2009

martha wrote:
> AFB has some RCA info here:
> http://www.afb.org/ead.asp?EADID=19&nEADSeriesID=13&nEADSubSeriesID=41
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykvuao8

This includes a picture of the label I described and goes on to
reproduce many letters concerning the technical development of the
records including groove size experiments.  The letter of  April 21,1934
answers some of the comments I made about the Dyer patents and the Dyer
memorial line at the top of the labels being what allowed the AFB to use
the patents for free on RCA pressings.  It also gives the ASTONISHING
info that the 12-inch Victrolac pressings cost 26 cents each with a
press run of at least 100 with a $6.00 processing fee for the wax
masters (which were recorded by the AFB).

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:

> Here is a web page with the history of the talking books.
>
> http://www.loc.gov/nls/about_history.html#five

This gives info about the machines AFTER the development of the discs
that the AFB site details.  These two sites dovetail beautifully.
Theres a lot of great info in both these sites.  Thanks folks!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com