[78-L] Why Hoard 78s as "Trading Copies"?

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Dec 3 07:29:07 PST 2009

Over the years as a collector of 78s I set aside the very best of my
duplicates as "trading copies," although in fact I never did much
trading.  So somewhat reluctantly I've decided to part with these
records.  They are being auctioned at http://www.jazz78s.com.  The
listings begin at Item 1914.

The records are all historical 78s of show music and personalities.  The
album listings include the original Brunswick edition of SHOW BOAT,
Blitzstein's NO FOR AN ANSWER, LEND AN EAR, and LET'S FACE IT.  There
are individual 78s by Harold Arlen, the Astaires, Irving Berlin, Burns &
Allen (both the US & English recordings), Marie Cahill, George M Cohan,
Jackie Coogan, Maurice Farkoa, George Gershwin, Jack Haley, Joseph
Hortiz, May Irwin, George Jessel, Al Jolson, Grace La Rue, Gertrude
Lawrence, Beatrice Lillie, Christie MacDonald, Everett Marshall, Ethel
Merman, George Metaxa, Helen Morgan, Anna Neagle, Pola Negri, Zelma
O'Neal, Dick Powell, Walter Pidgeon, Gene Raymond, Harry Richman, Ginger
Rogers, Harold Rome, Thomas Seabrooke, Noble Sissle, Mae West, Wheeler &
Woolsey, Peggy Wood -- and dozens more.

I feel pretty sure that there are people on 78-L who will find this list
of interest.

-- Jack Raymond