[78-L] Weems' ongoing Heartaches

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 2 20:38:25 PST 2009

The Victor was a reissue and it was the hit, but Decca also reissued its
recording when the tune became popular. Kurt Webster, a disc jockey in
Charlotte NC, came across the original Bluebird and liked it and played it
every day for a week. Record dealers in the Southern States started getting
orders so Victor reissued it, with Piccolo Pete on the flip (Oh Monah was on
the Decca). According to The Book of Golden Discs, Weems showed his
appreciation by flying his entire band to Charlotte to play at Webster's
birthday party.

The Decca reissue turns up frequently and has been on LP a few times but it was
the Victor one that charted. Decca 25017 would be much later than 1941 since
that was a postwar reissue series. I'm sure I've seen Decca 2020 (b/w Juliana)
in postwar Canadian pressings as well.

dl