[78-L] Record Clamps Usefulness

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 1 11:34:16 PST 2009

You'll know if the record is at risk..I've used a weight (not a clamp) for
years. It came out of a CBC studio. Now, because I reverse the record mat
(rubber up or felt up) depending on what I'm playing (and this also serves to
remind me which cartridge is in the arm), I find that most 78s will stay in
place on the felt side without the need of being held down except in extreme
circumstances. Where the weight really comes in handy is when I'm playing super
thin 70s LPs, especially French RCAs which are ALWAYS dished.

dl