[78-L] Record Clamps Usefulness

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 1 10:08:29 PST 2009

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> I've wondered that the weight of a record clamp
> might put undue stress on the bearings of a turntable, such as a direct
> drive, shortening the life span...no evidence to support
>
> joe salerno

Some record clamps are lightweight.  What you are thinking of are the
weights which can be a pound or more.

> Royal Pemberton wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't advise it, with the risk of cracking or breaking them.

This was my thought because you would be pushing the record down into
what might be a soft rubber mat.  If there is warpage, especially if the
record is dished upwards in the center, you could cause cracks in the
label area.  However, you should remember that Berliner and early Victor
machines used a center screwdown clamp.

The reason for the clamps and the weights in the modern Vinylphools
world is to "couple" the record to  the turntable and usually to a
slightly tacky rubber mat to absorb any vibrations the stylus causes in
the record.  This was a fad in the early 80s.  It started a year or two
after the fad of requiring 24 hours rest to the vinyl record before
playing it again because of the softening of the vinyl after heated by
the friction of the stylus.  The rest problem was totally forgotten when
I was given repeated demonstrations of seven companies' different
theories of turntable mats at an AES convention where they would play a
record on one mat and then immediately afterwards play it on theirs --
we were supposed to hear a tighter bass and firmer soundstage.  I think
these guys were all sexually frustrated.

Shellac 78s are dense enough to usually be troubled by these internal
vibrations.  However, it is part of the theory of the thickness of the
Edison Diamond Disc.  The downward thrust of the stylus is met by the
heavy dense record pushing upwards.  Supposedly it is twice as thick as
a cylinder because it is two sided.  Cylinder collectors know that there
is a hollowness whereever the plaster is missing in a Blue Amberol..
However I wonder why this was not a problem with Lambert cylinders which
had no core.  They usually sound great.  I've always preferred the
tar-like core of the Everlastings compared with the paper core of
Indestructibles.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com