[78-L] Columbia 415 questions.

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:56:14 PST 2009

It's up on YT now, and should be viewable any minute now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYwyGxQDwM

I thought of a couple more questions regarding the earliest Columbia
discs....

In all the instances where a 10 inch record was produced in addition to the
7 inch, as there were then no prefixes assigned to matrix numbers pertaining
to the sizes of the records, would the first 10 inch take of a given
selection also be identified as take 1?  Or would something like the
following be the norm:  Let's say, at a session for a certain new title, the
7 inch master was first attempted, with three takes recorded.  They would
then set about attempting a master for the 10 inch version.  And let's say
they made three 10 inch attempts.  As these would also have the same basic
matrix number as the 7 inch items, would these also be suffixed -1/-2/-3, or
would these have been -4/-5/-6?

It would be interesting to see where the Columbia A140 issue of 'In the
clock store' matrix count began, being the double-disc release of the 10
inch version of what once was Climax 1 on a 7 inch disc.

Do any of the early Climax era Columbia records say 'Climax Record' in the
announcement at the beginning?